Like most people, you probably don’t think twice about throwing on a new shirt or pair of pants without washing them first. After all, they’re brand new, so what could possibly be wrong with them? Well, as it turns out, there are a few good reasons why you should wash new clothes before wearing them.
New clothes often contain chemicals that can irritate your skin. These chemicals are used in the manufacturing process and can include things like formaldehyde and other toxic substances. Even if you’re not particularly sensitive to these chemicals, it’s still a good idea to wash them off before wearing them.
New clothes may be stiff or uncomfortable because they were packed or shipped. Washing them will help to soften and relax the fabric.
Another reason to wash new clothes is that they may not have been stored properly before they made it to the store. This means they may have been exposed to dust, dirt, and other contaminants that can cause skin problems or other health issues. Washing them will remove these contaminants and help keep you healthy.
Remove Any Loose Fibers
Finally, washing new clothes before wearing them helps to remove any loose fibers or other materials that could come off in the wash and end up in your laundry. This can not only clog your washing machine, but it can also transfer these materials to other items in your laundry, which can cause them to wear out prematurely.
How to Wash New Clothes
- Check the care label: The care label on your clothing will give you the best guidance on how to wash your new clothes. Check the care label before washing to avoid damaging your new clothes.
- Use the gentle cycle: When washing new clothes, use the gentle cycle on your washing machine. This will help to avoid damaging your clothing.
- Wash in cold water: Washing new clothes in cold water can help to set the color and prevent shrinkage.
- Hang to dry: Hanging new clothes to dry can help to prevent wrinkles and further shrinkage.
- Iron as needed: If your new clothes are wrinkle-prone, be sure to iron them as needed.
If you are unsure whether to wash new clothes before wearing them, it is always best to err on the side of caution and wash them. This way, you can be sure that your clothing is clean and will not cause any skin irritations. So before wearing that cute dress you just got on sale, toss it in the washing machine first.
Save the image below to Pinterest so you can come back later!
What's Your Reaction?
Erika Marie is a fashion and beauty writer as well as a hardcore vintage clothing enthusiast. In her free time, she can be found thrifting for hidden gems to add to her collection.