You’ve heard it all before: you have to be tall and slender to rock a maxi dress. Ladies, that’s a MYTH, so next time a pretty floor-grazing dress catches you attention, don’t look away. Just pick the one that flatters your body shape the most. There are plenty of choices to go around!
Marilyn Monroe sure looked good in a midi dress, but all of you curvaceous ladies, you can score maximum style points wearing a maxi too. Keep an eye for the following:
- Simple, streamlined materials (you don’t want the extra visual weight of pleats and ruffles)
- Fitted and wrap styles to accentuate your waist
- Higher necklines and thicker straps to avoid unflattering exposure of the ‘goods’
Small & Perky
Rejoice! You can wear those styles many would love to sport!
- Open backs and deep plunging maxi dresses (see, what did we tell you?)
- Sexy molded cups and playful rucked detailing
- Two-toned styles (if you want to detract the eye from your bust area)
Petite & Lean
No, your maxi dress won’t overpower your tiny frame if you wear the right style. Heels are a good idea, though not a must, however accentuating your waist is imperative.
- Maxi dresses with belts, drawstrings or gathered waistbands
- Curve-hugging silhouettes or streamlined, column style dresses
- Less skin coverage: asymmetrical hemlines shorter at the front; spaghetti straps; square necklines.
- Simple prints or solid colors; that’s right, no oversized prints here
Petite & Curvy
Enjoy the comfort of a maxi dress choosing the following styles:
- Maxi dresses with skinny belts strategically placed to elongate the bottom half
- Empire waist dresses or A-line silhouettes
- Vertical prints and stripes trick the eye for a taller, leaner figure.
Feel breezy and beautiful in:
- Flowy maxi dresses that don’t cling to your body; empire waists are always a good idea
- Wear strapless dresses or styles with cap sleeves or thicker straps that wouldn’t create bulges
- Large scale, bold prints
Draw attention away from your heavier side by sporting the bare shoulder look or empire waists.
Look for maxi dresses with graphic prints that lessen the focus on your middle section. An all-over, statement print can also help slim you out.
It’s not comfortable wearing sky high heels in a maxi dress. If you need the added height, pick sandals with thicker heels, platforms or medium-sized heels. Try to avoid flip flops and wear skimpy sandals instead.
Layering your maxi dress with a jacket or a blazer will definitely amp up your look. The right accessories can also make tons of difference, just try not to overdo it. Make your casual maxi dress more interesting with a belt and a denim jacket. For a night out, pick cool earrings or a statement necklace and a tailored blazer.
Save the image below to Pinterest so you can come back later!