Concealer is one of the most important products in a woman’s makeup bag. It can brighten tired eyes, cover blemishes, and even skin tone. However, when it is applied incorrectly, the concealer looks gray, heavy, and cakey. This is especially true if you’re using a heavy-duty formula to cover up a particularly dark blemish.
If your concealer is too light or the wrong shade, it can actually accentuate these problem areas instead of helping to camouflage them. Even worse, a poorly chosen concealer can make you look as though you have a gray or ashy cast to your skin.
So what can you do to avoid this problem? Here are some tips on how to apply concealer correctly so that it looks natural and flawless:
- Apply concealer to clean, moisturized skin. This will help the product go on smoothly and prevent it from looking cakey.
- Use a small amount of concealer, and build it up gradually if necessary. Foundation and concealer are meant to be used sparingly, so don’t go overboard with it. A little bit goes a long way!
- Choose a concealer that matches your skin tone. If you are fair-skinned, opt for a foundation or concealer with pink undertones. For medium or olive skin, go for a shade with yellow undertones. And if you have dark skin, choose a foundation or concealer with orange or red undertones.
- Use a brush or your fingers to apply the concealer in small dots, and then blend it out.
- Set the concealer with powder using a small brush. This will help it stay in place and prevent it from creasing.
- Use a color-correcting concealer if you have any blemishes or dark circles. This will help to neutralize the area and create a more even skin tone.
There’s no question that concealer is one of the most important makeup products in our arsenal. It has the power to cover up blemishes, dark circles, and other imperfections, giving us the confidence to face the world. However, when your concealer looks gray and muddy, it can really ruin your look. With the above tips in mind, you can say goodbye to gray concealer and hello to a flawless complexion.
Save the image below to Pinterest so you can come back later!
Erika Marie is a fashion and beauty writer as well as a hardcore vintage clothing enthusiast. In her free time, she can be found thrifting for hidden gems to add to her collection.